Recently a group of Scentsy Superstar Directors (top leaders) were asked, “What three things would you say were key to your success?”
Take a look at some of the responses. You’ll see that nothing comes easy, but there are common themes among all who have achieved the top rank of the company.
- Determination, willingness to fail, passion
- Consistency, determination, originality
- Consistency, determination, being will to get uncomfortable
- Mindset, tenacity, authenticity
- Never stop working, being 100% “all in” no matter what, positivity
- Consistency, grit, and being willing to learn
- Consistency, hardworking, willingness to learn new things
- Fake it until I make it, humility, never give up
- Consistency, stubbornness, long term vision
- Consistency, hard work, being kind
- Determination, getting out of my comfort zone a lot, if something didn’t work I figured out a new way
- Setting goals, consistent effort, and willingness to work beyond the struggles
- Willingness to fail, accepting rejection, authenticity (stay true to who you are – no matter what)
- Planning, passion, products
- Not quitting, not quitting, not quitting
- Passion, hard work, belief
- Consistency, perseverance, determination
- Relentless, being broke, focus
- Being teachable, stubborn, living by golden rule
- Strong why, clear goals, consistency
- Determination, love and loyalty for the products and company, dream of working for myself from home
- Consistency, strong way, not just learning but doing
It’s never too late to relaunch your business and give yourself a fresh start. Are you determined to wholeheartedly go after what you want?
I believe in you.
If you’re not already part of the Scentsy family, I’d love to have you join our team.
If you’re a former consultant, you can come back for free. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request a reinstatement. You can select a sponsor; you’ll need to provide that person’s name and consultant ID. (Laurie Ayers #505)
“I can’t motivate my team. What do you suggest?”
As harsh as it may sound, it’s not my job to motivate others. I’m not in the motivation business. I’m in the customer service business.
“What kind of leader are you if you can’t motivate your team?”
Motivate vs. Inspire
Let’s look at the word motivate. It suggests you can prompt, push, propel, or incentivize some activity. It means making others do something. But what if they really don’t want to do that?
Now let’s look at inspire. Both words are closely related, but not the same. To inspire someone is to create a positive feeling in them. I still contend that I, personally, can’t make someone do or feel something they don’t want. But I can possibly inspire someone to want what I have – freedom of schedule, flexibility, an income, etc. by leading by example.
Building a Business
Many people join Scentsy, or any direct sales company, for part-time, casual use or selling. That’s all they want from it, and that is perfectly fine. We would not be a sustainable company if it were not for all those consultants who joined for those exact reasons.
“But what about those who are serious about quitting their job, or earning a replacement income? Those are the ones I’m trying to motivate.”
When it comes to the so-called business builders, I don’t want to work with people who want to build a business. I want to work with people who need to build a business.
I don’t worry about it if someone doesn’t want to sell, get bookings, or add team members. I’m thrilled when others do, but if they don’t need to do it for their own personal reasons, it would be futile for me to put my focus on trying to motivate someone to do something they don’t want to, or only hope to do.
But those who need to … those folks are hungry. They’re determined. They’re unstoppable. They have their own internal motivation. It’s not a motivation that comes from me. They already have it.
I’m Here For You
I will support ALL MY TEAM MEMBERS in whatever their goal, no matter how minimal or grandiose. But it’s their goal and their motivations, not mine.
So be knowledgeable, helpful, supportive, and lead by example, but say it with me:
“It’s not my job to motivate.”
Now because you’re not spending energy trying to motivate others to do something, your time has been freed up to work with those who want or need your help. Less stress for you, and more support for others. Win/Win.
Similarities Between Putting the Pieces of a Jigsaw Puzzle Together and Being a Scentsy Consultant
I know that I need a black flat piece with an innie on the left and an outtie on the right. Now all I have to do it find that piece. I have to actively look for it. Also whether I’m working on my Scentsy website or overcoming prospect objections, I have to actively look for exactly what I need.
Just one more piece; I just need to find the one with the pink tip, and then I can stop. How many times, as home business owners do we find ourselves working on something but we stop before we complete the task? We need to keep on keeping on until we find that one piece we are looking for.
Sharpen the Saw
Ever look into a pile of puzzle pieces, pick one up and set it exactly where it belongs, almost instantly? I have. It’s a very satisfying feeling to accomplish that. Working on jigsaw puzzles sharpens your hand eye coordination that can be used in many areas of your business.
Do What You Love
I enjoy putting together jigsaw puzzles. That’s why I do them. I know many people who are not “puzzle people.” If you don’t enjoy what you’re doing, why do it? Same goes for your chosen vocation or business you choose to work from home.
Okay, I have to go now because I have a small pile of black and white checked pieces for me to meld together. I think it’s a pair of chef’s pants, but I’ll let you know for sure.
Your kids have moved out, grown and flow, left the nest, so that makes you an empty nester.
Now what? For many, it’s a time parents look forward to. Sure, they’ll miss their children, but now it’s their time.
But what about if you’re single, or perhaps married but your spouse isn’t around much? You’ve identified as “mom” for so many years, now you have to figure out what your next chapter will be.
Trying to figure out what you like to do, or to find a hobby isn’t as easy as it sounds. I know. I’m there. I have a blank canvas. I can create whatever future I want. I dread the question, “What do you like to do?” Because I haven’t figured out how to answer that.
My main identity for the last 23 years has been Mom, but now that my youngest is off to college, and I have the time to take up some interest, I’m frankly at a loss. Maybe you are too.
Fortunately, I have Scentsy which gives me an opportunity to meet all sorts of wonderful people across the United States and beyond.
Some people have joined Scentsy for added income. Others because they know you can earn some fabulous all-expense paid trips. And then there are plenty who join for an outlet, for the social interaction.
Most Scentsy consultants end up joining for one of three reasons – Funds, Fun, or Friendship.
I’ll Help You
Here’s the deal. Scentsy can be whatever you want it to be for you. If you’re ready for a second career and want to do this full time, you absolutely can. If you want to socialize with others once a week or once a month, or even once a quarter, you can do that too.
I know it can be scary and overwhelming. Especially if you’re old school, like I am. When I started in direct sales 30 years ago, things were a bit different. But scary and overwhelming is okay. That’s what I’m here for.
I’ve been with Scentsy 12 years, so I can point you in the right direction. I’ll help you get out of Scentsy you want from it, or help you figure out what you want to do with it. Sometimes you don’t know what you don’t know, right?
First Things First
If you like actionable steps:
- Look around IncomeWax.com to familiarize yourself with our products. We have more than just candle warmers and wax.
- If you’re ready to give it a try, complete the Join process. In the United States, it’s $99 for a starter kit, plus $10 shipping and your local sales tax.
- You’ll have access to your Scentsy website almost immediately, and your starter kit will be shipped to you promptly (generally within 24-72 hours).
- We can connect via the phone, or email, or Facetime or whatever method works best for you, and figure out your next steps.
Just do it. If you keep thinking about it, life is passing you by. Your time is now, baby!