Are You a Good Scentsy Leader?
Sales are key in maintaining your direct sales business. Though to keep growing it’s vital you also build a team.
When you build a team, the focus changes from primarily sales to that of a mentor. Once you become a team leader, you still need to work your own business, and you’ll also be responsible mentoring and supporting others as well.
Tips to be a Great Leader
Here are some tips and suggestions that will go a long way in making you a team leader anyone would be proud to work with.
- Put others first. Any good team leader will realize it’s no longer only about yourself and your business. You will need to put the needs of your downline above your own. Success will happen for your recruits, which in turn means you too. You don’t succeed if team members don’t succeed. “I’ll get my minimum sales in, and then I can help my team member” is backwards thinking. Flip the order of that and you’ll get better results.
- Learn to prioritize. You must be able to put things in order of importance as a team leader. By doing this you will be better organized and show your team members how to do the same.
- Walk the walk. As a leader you must lead by example. You can’t tell your team to do something and expect them to follow you if you’re not doing it too. A word of caution though, don’t rub it in their faces about how wonderful you are and all your sales and your recruiting success. That will demotivate, not motivate them. If you’re walking the walk, especially in this day of technology, they’ll know it. You won’t need to throw yourself a parade to ensure your downline knows you’re working.
- Overcome obstacles. Know how to work past any objection in your business. Know your product or service well enough to know what possible reasons people have for not wanting to buy, host or join, and then have answers available to prevail over them. When overcoming obstacles it is important that you acknowledge that you are hearing their concerns. Validate their concerns before offering suggestions how you can work through what they perceive as challenges.
- Perseverance. Remember: Some will; some won’t; so what; someone’s waiting. You know that you’ll receive a lot of negative responses in this business, so stay positive and know you will get the answer your looking for. Stick with it when things are slow and don’t let rejection get you down.
- Create a working system. Get organized and have a system that gets results. Also realize that organization is different for everyone, but know your system and be willing to help your team members find their perfect system too.
- Inspire, encourage and lift up your team. The leader is the inspiration; the optimistic no matter what comes your way. Note I didn’t use the word “motivate”. Too often I heard frustrated consultants lament how they can’t seem to motive their team. That’s right. You can’t. It’s not the upline’s job to motivate the consultants. It may seem like splitting hairs between inspire and motivate – but one is passive and one is active. You can inspire others by being the best leader you can. You can’t make someone (motivate them) to do something they don’t have the inner drive to do.
- Set goals. Not everyone is motivated by goals. Find out who is and then work with them to help their set goals for themselves. Know what an achievable goal is and what is out of reach. Be able to help others reach their goals by breaking them up into manageable objectives.
- Your ‘Why’. I hope you’re not in direct sales for the sole purpose to make money. Sure that is an excellent reason why you joined, it’ll just go better if it’s not your only reason. Know your product, use your product and like it! You must believe in what you sell and only sign up those who do it too – they make the best sales people.
Above and beyond these tips, you can also learn to become a great leader by applying these additional principles it takes to do so: Watch videos; listen to CDs and podcasts; attend webinars; read books and attend seminars that will help you become the leader you want to be. These things will make a difference in your direct sales business and your life too.
See you at the top!
About the Author: Laurie Ayers is a Michigan work from home mom and a Superstar Director with Scentsy Wickless Candles. She enjoys helping men and women start and maintain a home based business in the US, Canada, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Germany, Ireland, UK, France, Austria and Spain. To download a FREE Start Up Guide which provides more details about how to start a home business as well as to learn about our compensation plan go to www.thrivingcandlebusiness.com/how-to-start-a-candle-business/